Thursday, April 26, 2012

An OLD man's View on EA & No PC

This is written with the hope that somebody "important" from EA sports watches their forum.
I am a 36 year old who still likes to play video games. I'm a typical American male, and I have a mortgage, car payments, 2 very small children, etc. I cannot justify buying a gaming only platform. I'd love to and I could afford it, but there are more important things in life right now.
I own a PC because of it's functionality. It serves purpose in our home. One purpose this computer has is entertaining Dad (me) with video games. I was very upset when I found out Madden 2010 would not be available for the PC. Just like some other guy on this forum, I recently purchased a new system, and made sure I vamped it up so it could handle games like Madden, and EA's hockey, etc. So yeah, I'm a little burned.
It's my fault I guess. I should've done some research. I've been a long time fan of EA sports, from all the way back in the Playstation (just the regular one) days. I started playing PC games around the turn of the century, and supported EA every year with each new year's game. Because of being busy, I have been out of playing games for about 5 years, and I had no idea that EA was dumping on the PC players.
The bottomline is not everybody is willing to spend three to four hundred dollars on a gaming system when all they like to play is 3 types of games (football, hockey, racing).
Seriously, I had no idea this was going on, and you can't believe how much I was looking forward to playing Madden 2010, and NHL 2010. I finally got a system to play some serious games, and I was freakin' drooling. Now I'm crying.|||thats me as well 37 2 kids same issues
though We have a wii but madden WII is a major joke|||I won a PS3 in a raffle, else I'd not have it. I can tell you, Madden and NCAA aren't all that great. I still play Madden 05 on my PC because the "fun" factor is about the same. Kind of disappointed that both games have some seriously frustrating issues.]
I can tell you 2k Sports did a baseball game that was fun, as was their NBA game last year. Try them out, if you're into Baseball/Basketball. Hopefully their Hockey will make it to the PC.
You're not missing much in Madden... Not sure about EA Hockey since I got 2k Hockey instead - which is a blast.
Just my opinion. And yes, I'm an old man too. =P|||Im in the same boat with all of you. but i bought a PS3 and Madden for the PC is a much better game by far.|||


This is written with the hope that somebody "important" from EA sports watches their forum.
I am a 36 year old who still likes to play video games. I'm a typical American male, and I have a mortgage, car payments, 2 very small children, etc. I cannot justify buying a gaming only platform. I'd love to and I could afford it, but there are more important things in life right now.
I own a PC because of it's functionality. It serves purpose in our home. One purpose this computer has is entertaining Dad (me) with video games. I was very upset when I found out Madden 2010 would not be available for the PC. Just like some other guy on this forum, I recently purchased a new system, and made sure I vamped it up so it could handle games like Madden, and EA's hockey, etc. So yeah, I'm a little burned.
It's my fault I guess. I should've done some research. I've been a long time fan of EA sports, from all the way back in the Playstation (just the regular one) days. I started playing PC games around the turn of the century, and supported EA every year with each new year's game. Because of being busy, I have been out of playing games for about 5 years, and I had no idea that EA was dumping on the PC players.
The bottomline is not everybody is willing to spend three to four hundred dollars on a gaming system when all they like to play is 3 types of games (football, hockey, racing).
Seriously, I had no idea this was going on, and you can't believe how much I was looking forward to playing Madden 2010, and NHL 2010. I finally got a system to play some serious games, and I was freakin' drooling. Now I'm crying.

Try getting a ps2 and madden for ps2|||I started with Madden '04, and I just bought '08. Given that they added almost nothing to the game, took out what I liked, and made everything 50% slower, I think they're suffering from Monopoly Syndrome.
If it makes you feel any better, I think the Madden franchise is dying, and it's their own darn fault.
|||Don't let my title of 'senior moderator' fool you into thinking I have an agenda. I'm a regular customer just like everyone here.. and I as well, is pretty much exactly the same as the OP here - Mr. HoopGoobner.
I'm 38, male, house, mortgage, own a business, etc. Just like HoopGoobner, I played the game (hockey) on the PS1 in the late 90s.. and have played it, since NHL 2000, on the PC. Year after year I would juice up my computer to more than exceed the game's requirements, and year after year I would purchase EA's hockey game, and did this all the way up to NHL 08.
There were a lot of advantages to the game being on the PC, but it was obvious since NHL 07 that the PC genre was dying, the game wasn't advancing and in comparison to the 'next gen' console versions, the PC version completely stopped evolving, and was far inferior to that of the consoles. I mean, it was a completely different game - nothing at all was similar - even the play-by-play commentary were by different announcers. Controls were different, graphics were different, strategies were different, different modes were available, and in fact - the PC version of the game was made by a completely different set of programmers in a different city.
In the hockey game, the PC game actually stopped evolving starting with NHL 2005. NHL 06, 07, 08, and 09 were exactly the same, just minor graphical and roster updates. Meanwhile, NHL 07 on the Xbox360 was a complete overhaul. PC got left in the dust and finally, for NHL 10 - EA stopped making it for the computer. There is no NHL 10 for the PC so just like you, HoopGoobner, you are out of luck.
Among some of the reasons EA gave for cancelling the PC product - was because of the easy way to pirate PC games, and they lost a lot of money as a result. That plus the unauthorized tampering people would do to modify the graphics within it, the problems from one PC to another - crashing issues, and that overall in all genres, not just sports games, all genres of PC games have dropped significantly over the years because it's all about the consoles now.
I was too addicted to videogame hockey for me not to have NHL 10.. and since I made the decision to get an Xbox360 for the game, I purchased NHL 09 for it as well (even though I had 09 for the PC). The console version was far superior so I never touched the PC and have now gotten comfortable playing the game with my 46" HD 1080p television with full surround sound, lying on my couch to play, etc.. and don't know if I would go back to the PC..
However, I would think about it if they started releasing again for the computer - IF, and only IF - the versions were the same if not superior to the console version.
My 2 cents.
|||Great thread. Count me in the number of the OP. Thanks EA!|||I would really like a truthful, honest answer from someone as to why EA Sports, after nearly 20 years, all of a sudden stopped caring about making games on the PC. I absolutely refuse to believe the "they're not selling well" or piracy mentality, for a lot of reasons. 2K Sports have now for 2 straight years released the Xbox 360 port of NBA2K on the PC, and this years was even an improvement from 2K9 in that they added all of the online functionality. They also released MLB2K9, and 10 has been confirmed as well. So how are they doing it? A company that we all can figure out does not have the resources of an EA Sports, yet they're trying. And the games are being priced at 19.99. You're telling me that they're making a ton of money on that?
The problem I have with EA Sports on the PC is simple: The Xbox 360 has now been out for 5 full iterations of Madden/NCAA/NBA/NHL/Tiger, and not ONE of those games was ever given the "next gen" treatment on PC. And NCAA Football has not even been released on PC in over 10 years now. So how can you state that PC Gaming isn't profitable when you yourself are not putting maximum effort into making a product that people would actually want to buy?
ONE YEAR EA Sports, that's all I'm asking. Go "all out" for one year on releasing quality, complete ports of the 5 games I listed above for the PC. I'm not even asking for anything above and beyond what's in the 360/PS3 versions, just a straight port on par with what 2K is doing for their sports games. And you know what, if they don't sell up to your desires, then fine. Don't ever make another one. But don't give me this "Sports games don't work on the PC" crap when the argument is so totally flawed by the fact that inferior games are being created.
I would buy all 5 of those games on PC without hesitation if they were treated right. Hell I'd buy another copy of NCAA/Madden for a friend. But when you're releasing PS2 ports on a platform that is more powerful than the 360, what the hell do you expect from your customers?
Make a freaking game worth buying, and we'll buy it.|||Go on any pirate site on the web and there are pages of Madden 10 for xBox and ps2. So why not quit making it for them. I Have madden 10 on ps3 and it sucks soooooo bad. I've gone back to 08 on pc.

No comments:

Post a Comment